If you think you may be suffering from or on the edge of burnout, here are a list of some symptoms you might be experiencing.
But I’m not an expert in this, I can only share my own experiences so please make sure that you get the right support for you if you’re struggling.
Symptoms of Burnout
• Feeling tired and drained most of the time
• Lowered immunity, frequent illnesses
• Frequent headaches or muscle pain
• Change in appetite or sleep habits
• Sense of failure and self-doubt
• Feeling helpless, trapped, and defeated
• Detachment, feeling alone in the world
• Loss of motivation
• Increasingly cynical and negative outlook
• Decreased satisfaction and sense of accomplishment
• Withdrawing from responsibilities
• Isolating yourself from others
• Procrastinating, taking longer to get things done
• Using food, drugs, or alcohol to cope
• Taking out your frustrations on others
• Skipping work or coming in late and leaving early
* from https://www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/burnout-prevention-and-recovery.htm
My Burnout Symptoms
In my case my GP told me that I had severe physical symptoms of anxiety.
• Tightness in chest
• A persistent tingling feeling in my right arm. This one really concerned me. I’m not one to worry excessively normally but I knew that with my stress levels, lack of sleep and pace of life, I was a prime example of someone at risk of a stroke. This is what made me seek medical advice and check-ups.
• Mood swinging between periods of low mood and periods of anxiety
• Panic attacks
• No sleeping. I wasn’t overly worried about that as I hadn’t slept properly in years but I knew lack of sleep was exacerbating other symptoms.
• Mouth ulcers. All the time.
• Sense of failure and I just couldn’t see a way out
• Tension headaches
• Detachment. I felt very alone.
• No enjoyment in anything
• Isolating myself
• Procrastinating. I’m the queen of procrastination anyway but I can see now that during this time I procrastinated on taking action that could have helped me sooner
• Using food and alcohol to cope
From Breakdown to Breakthrough… (part 1) tells of the moment when I realised I was completely BURNT OUT and realised that I needed to make serious changes.
From Breakdown to Breakthrough… (part 2) shares my experiences of overcoming Burnout and finding peace, balance and a lifestyle that brings me health and happiness.