your life, your vision
If you’re feeling stuck or directionless in life, don’t worry, creating a personal vision statement can be a powerful tool to help you gain clarity and focus on what’s truly important to you.
In this post, we’ll go through the steps you can take to create your own personal vision statement, the benefits of having one, and some prompts to help you get started.
Why create a personal vision statement?
Having a personal vision statement can help you stay motivated and focused when you encounter obstacles or setbacks.
When you know what you’re working towards, it’s easier to keep going even when things get tough. Additionally, a personal vision statement can help you make decisions that align with your values and goals, leading to a more fulfilling and satisfying life.
I’m a Midlifer. Is it not too late to create a vision now?
A personal vision statement can be particularly useful for midlife women because it can help them gain clarity and direction during a time of transition and change. Many midlife women may find themselves feeling lost or unsure of what they want out of life, especially if they have experienced significant life events such as divorce, career changes, or children leaving home.
Creating a personal vision statement can provide a framework for making decisions and taking action that aligns with your values and aspirations. It can also help you stay focused and motivated when you encounter obstacles or setbacks. By staying true to yourself and using your strengths to pursue your passions, as a midlife women you can intentionally create a life that truly inspires and fulfils you.
How to create a personal vision statement?
Here are the steps you can take to create your own personal vision statement:
Step 1: Reflect on Your Values and Passions
Take some time to think about what’s most important to you in life. What are your core values? What are you passionate about? What brings you joy and fulfillment? These are the things that should guide your vision.
Step 2: Visualize Your Ideal Future
Imagine yourself in the future, living your ideal life. What does that look like? What are you doing? Who are you with? How do you feel? This exercise can help you get a clear picture of what you want to work towards.
Step 3: Write It Down
Now that you have a sense of what you want your ideal future to look like, write it down in a concise statement. Make sure it’s specific and inspiring, something that truly resonates with you.
Step 4: Revisit and Update
Remember, your personal vision statement is not set in stone. As you grow and evolve, your vision may change. It’s important to review your statement regularly and make revisions as needed.
Prompts to help you get started
To create a truly powerful personal vision statement, it’s important to start by reflecting on your values, passions, and strengths. Here are some prompts to help you get started:
* List two of your unique personal qualities, such as enthusiasm and creativity. These are the qualities that make you who you are, and they can help guide your vision for the future.
* List one or two ways you enjoy expressing those qualities when interacting with others, such as to support and inspire. For example, if you’re enthusiastic and creative, you might enjoy using those qualities to come up with innovative solutions to problems or to inspire others to pursue their own passions.
* What are your greatest strengths/abilities/traits/things you do best? Take some time to think about what you’re really good at. What comes naturally to you? What do people often compliment you on? These are your strengths, and they can be a key part of your personal vision statement.
* What motivates you or brings you joy and satisfaction? Think about the things that really light you up inside. What activities or experiences make you feel truly alive? What brings you a sense of satisfaction or fulfilment? These are the things that should be at the heart of your vision.
* Write down at least two things you can start doing more often that use your strengths and bring you joy. For example, if you’re really good at writing and you enjoy it, you might commit to writing every day or starting a blog.
* Combine your previous answers into a single paragraph or statement. Here’s mine as an example:
“Live in a way that leaves no regrets. Be the best I can be. Use my enthusiasm and optimism to inspire growth and bring out the best in people. Have fun in my journey, keep learning. Open up, let people in, be brave enough to wear my scars on the outside. Maintain a sense of wellbeing and calm, be kind to myself and believe I deserve it.”
Remember, your personal vision statement should be a reflection of your values, passions, and strengths. It should be guided by the qualities that make you unique, and it should be focused on the things that bring you joy and satisfaction. By staying true to yourself and using your strengths to pursue your passions, you can create a life that truly inspires you.
UNLOCK YOUR TRUE POTENTIAL
So if you’re feeling lost or unsure of what you want out of life, take some time to create a personal vision statement.
It may just be the key to unlocking your true potential and living a life that truly inspires you.